With the wave of healthy dietary consciousness, many Kenyans are realizing that soda and fries don’t make a healthy meal. Here are 3 indigenous healthy Kenyan foods to substitute for that chicken nuggets, milk shake combo:
Sweet Potatoes (Ngwaci)
- Raises the levels of Vitamin A in your body
- Have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Highly rich in calories. Nearly twice as much calorie quotient as potatoes
- Has gluten-free starch
- Low fat content, but more protein than other tropical food sources, i.e. yams, potatoes, bananas,etc.
- Important minerals such as; zinc, magnesium, copper, iron and manganese.
African nightshade (Managu)
- Rich in vitamins A, C and E
- High in calcium
- Antioxidant properties
To learn how to whip a sumptuous Managu dish, check out our article on How to Cook Managu
Sweet potatoes’ Health Benefits
Scientist hail Managu as a potential superfood