Okoa Jahazi is a service provided by Kenya’s leading mobile phone provider, Safaricom. It allows PrePaid subscribers to borrow airtime and pay later. Airtime can be borrowed in units of KES 10, 20, 50 and 100. An advance fee of 10% is levied on each request. Subscribers access the service by dialing *131# from their handsets and then follow the prompts.
To check your Okoa Jahazi balance, dial *144*4# from your mobile phone.
You will get a text message with details of your airtime balance.
Tips & Warnings
- Your balance must be below KES 2 for you to borrow.
- You can use the airtime to call and sms other networks as well as browse the Internet.
- The borrowed airtime is deducted the next time you top-up
- The amount advanced must be equivalent to the amount of airtime used over the last seven days
- Okoa Jahazi is not transferable via the popular Sambaza service.
- You must repay any borrowed airtime within 3 days (72 hours) otherwise you will be locked out of the Okoa Jahazi service for 14 days.
- You cannot borrow when you have an outstanding balance.
- The service is not available to PostPaid subscribers.