Are you interested in starting a career as an Insurance Surveyor or Risk Manager? The main role of an Insurance Surveyor is to provide risk advice backed up by technical knowledge and good practice. For example, a surveyor would assess a property and come up with an opinion on the inherent risk of a particular insured event occurring, e.g. a fire or a burglary, and provide recommendations on how the risk can be mitigated e.g. installation of burglar alarms, smoke detectors etc.
The registration requirements of insurance surveyors/risk managers is laid out in Section 150 of the Insurance Act Cap 487 of the laws of Kenya. The following are the requirements.
General Registration Requirements for Insurance Surveyors
- An application in the prescribed form together with appendices. The form may be obtained from the Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA) Offices or their website (ira.go.ke).
- The applicant should demonstrate the volume of business that is likely to be obtained and that the earning prospects are adequate.
- Demonstrate that the business in respect of which the application is made will be conducted in accordance with accepted professional standards.
- In case of a company, proof that the financial standing of the applicant is sound.
- Confirmation by the Principal Officer of the Insurer for whom the applicant proposes to act as an Insurance service provider certifying that the applicant has the knowledge and experience necessary to act as a Service Provider.
- Curriculum Vitae of the Principal Officer who shall be a partner in case of a partnership or a shareholder in case of a company.
- Registration fee Kes. 3,000 payable to the Insurance Regulatory Authority.
- A certified copy of certificate of incorporation if the firm is a limited company or a certificate of registration of business name.
- The name of the company should be in order and in line with section I90 of the Insurance Act.
Specific Requirements for Insurance Surveyors
- The applicant or Principal Officer should have a degree or diploma in insurance from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- The applicant or Principal Officer should have professional qualification in risk management or insurance surveying.
- The applicant or Principal Officer should have at least five years experience in insurance surveying or risk management.
Insurance Regulatory Authority
How to register as an motor insurance assessor
How to register as an insurance investigator
How to register as an insurance loss adjuster