Do you want to know how to apply for a Kenyan Certificate of Good Conduct, also known as a Good Conduct Certificate or Police Clearance Certificate?
A Kenyan Certificate of Good Conduct has become an important document.
Almost all employers, government departments, and NGOs request one during pre-employment vetting.
Many companies also request the certificate from the directors of companies placing tenders for the supply of goods and services.
The certificate of good conduct is essentially a search into an individual’s criminal records held by the Kenyan Criminal Investigations Department (CID).
The good conduct certificate confirms that the holder has not engaged in any criminal activity in the preceding 6 months and has not served any jail time for a crime.
Below is a sample of a certificate of good conduct issued by the criminal investigation department.
Police Certificate of Good Conduct Requirements For Kenyan Citizens
- The applicants complete set of rolled and plain fingerprints to be taken by the Kenya Police at the criminal investigation department headquarters or at the nearest local police official.
- Your identification documents, i.e., Original and photocopy of your 2nd Generation ID card. See below if you have lost your Kenyan identity card. Minors will need a birth certificate.
- A fee of KES 1,050 on eCitizen.
- Download and print two copies of the invoice from ecitizen.
- Download and print the fingerprint form (C24) from ecitizen.
Certificate of Good Conduct Requirements For Foreign Citizens
Should provide the original and copy of the passport pages with personal details
Pay the fee.
Write a letter explaining the need for the certificate of good conduct.
How To Apply For a Police Certificate
Apply for eCitizen Good Conduct Online
You MUST apply for the certificate of good conduct online.
- Create an eCitizen Account
- On the Directorate of Criminal Investigations Tab and click “Get Service Now!“
- Follow to instructions to apply for an adult or child under 18.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the Certificate of good conduct. The cost is Kshs. 1,050.
- Download and print two(2) copies of your invoice, and one copy of your C24 (fingerprint form) on both sides of an A4 paper
- Present the C24 and invoices with an original National ID for adults and Original Birth Certificate for minors, to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations Department Headquarters or any other location shown in ecitizen for fingerprint processing (there are several locations available).
- In Nairobi, DCI Headquarters is located on Kiambu road just after Muthaiga Golf Club on your right. Take a matatu number 100 and ask them to drop you at the DCI headquarters.
- During the application, you will be able to select the date when you want your fingerprints taken.
- You will get an email and/or text notification after a few days once they start processing.
When processing is complete, you will get a text and/or notification containing instructions on how to download your Police Certificate of Good Conduct from ecitizen.
Need a Police Clearance Certificate & Don’t Have Your Original ID?
No worries. Before you go to the CID Offices, do this first:
- You will need KES 300.
- Report the loss of your Kenyan ID at a police station and receive a police abstract (This article has instructions on how to replace a lost Kenyan ID)
- Visit the nearest Registrar of Persons Center in Kenya. Every County in Kenya has at least one. Alternatively, you can visit any Huduma Center countrywide.
- Explain to them that you need to get a printout of your ID to apply for a police certificate.
- They will issue you with a form to fill in your name and ID number.
- Deposit the fee of KES 300 at a Kenya Commercial Bank Branch, Director, Registrar of Persons Account. The registration officials will advise you on the account number.
- Fill the form and they will then take your fingerprints on the form and stamp it.
- Present the form and bank slip to NSSF House 7th Floor, Registrar of Persons, Nairobi.
- The waiting time depends on the number of people but ranges between one and two hours.
- Once you get your ID print out, present it to the CID office or Huduma Center and follow instructions issued at each point.
How To Apply For a Certificate of Good Conduct Outside Nairobi
- Visit ecitizen.
- Follow the steps above and then select the fingerprint processing center nearest to you.
- Log into ecitizen and print your Police Certificate of Good Conduct once ready.
Tips & Warnings
- Follow any instructions issued carefully. If in doubt, seek clarification from the local police official present.
- For Kenyan nationals living abroad, read our article titled Kenya Police Certificate of Good Conduct for Nationals Abroad
- For foreigners who have resided in Kenya in the past and need a police certificate, see our article titled, Kenya Police Certificate of Good Conduct for Relocated Foreigners
Frequently Asked Questions About Certificate of Good Conduct
How do I get my good conduct certificate?
Huduma Kenya and the National Police Service have partnered to make certificate of good conduct applications easier. They now offer this service online via ecitizen.
Users can apply for a certificate of good conduct 24/7 from anywhere in Kenya, as long as they have an internet connection or their local police station.
How long does it take to get a police certificate in Kenya?
Huduma Kenya aims to process certificates of good conduct applications within 10 working days.
Can I get a certificate of good conduct in Nairobi?
Yes, you can apply for a certificate of good conduct in Nairobi using ecitizen.
How do I track the police certificate progress online?
Once the certificate has been released, Huduma Kenya will email or send an SMS to inform you that it is ready for download.
Log in to the certificate of good conduct section on ecitizen and download your certificate.
Where do I apply for good conduct?
Huduma Kenya and the National Police Service have partnered to ensure certificate of good conduct applications are easy.
You can apply for the document online, at your local police station, or at any Huduma center.
Do I need a good conduct certificate to apply for a job?
Yes, many employers require a certificate of good conduct to get a job in Kenya.
How long is the certificate valid after it has been issued?
Certificates are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
Who can get a certificate of good conduct?
All residents in Kenya, except those who have been convicted for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding six months or were sentenced to death or life imprisonment without parole.
You should not be registered at any police station nationwide as a suspect/accused person.
How do I apply for a certificate of good conduct in Kenya by post/courier?
You can print and submit an application form to the National Police Service Headquarters at Nairobi.
Where do you find the certificate of good conduct application forms?
Application forms are available on the Huduma Kenya website or ecitizen.
Where do I apply for a certificate of good conduct if I am abroad?
If you are abroad, you can apply certificate of good conduct through ecitizen.
Can a certificate of good conduct be used in other countries?
Some countries require it before they issue passports or work/residence permits.
Check with the relevant authorities if the document is required for entry into another country.