There are several reasons you may want to spy on a mobile phone but most people commonly want to spy on their spouses. However, you may have other reasons such as monitoring your child’s security, snooping on employees and so forth. Take note that spying on a mobile phone is illegal. The Kenya Information and Communications Act clearly stipulates that attempting or actually intercepting a communications message for any reason is illegal. Only the law enforcement authorities can do this in the course of criminal investigations.
What you need
- Mobile spying application
- Target mobile phone – Note that you must have actual possession of the mobile phone you want to spy on; there is no way to go around this.
- Some cunning on your part
- Purchase a mobile spying application from one of the numerous online vendors. The price ranges from $25 to as high as $400. Some applications have a recurring cost e.g. you pay the initial cost and then pay a monthly subscription fee to the owner of the software. However, there are also numerous ‘one-time fee’ options. Make sure the target phone model is compatible with the application you select. Most websites provide this information. You will need a Visa, MasterCard or PayPal account to purchase most of these services. If you do not have a credit/debit card or PayPal, read this article on ‘How to get a PayPal enabled ATM Debit Card in Kenya’. Most applications will provide the following standard features:
- Call logging
- SMS logging
- GPS Tracking (if the target phone has GPS functionality)
- Email logging
- Picture uploading
- Remote call listening (listen to voice calls)
- Spy on WhatsApp, Viber, Skype and other voice/text applications installed on the target phone
- Buy the person a new phone as a gift and pre-load the spy app. This has been reported to work well especially with spouses, where one suspects the other of infidelity. It has also been reported to work well with employers who want to snoop on their employees and parents who want to keep track of their children.
- Some people have managed to install spyware on phones by waiting for the opportunity to present itself e.g. when the phone owner goes to the bathroom or generally leaves their phone unattended. Most spy apps install in less than five minutes and that is all the time needed.
Tips & Warnings
- As mentioned earlier, attempting to intercept someone else’s phone calls and messages in Kenya is illegal. The fine is hefty and there is possible jail time of up to three years.