Chats Less Than Seven Days Old
Chats less than seven days old are fairly easy to recover. Simple uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall.
- On your phone, search for Applications. The location will differ with each version of Android.
- Look for the WhatApp app and tap on it to reveal the Uninstall option. Alternatively, open the Google Play app, go to My Apps, locate WhatsApp and uninstall.
- Once you have removed the application, select it from the Google Play store and reinstall. You will be prompted to restore your message history.
- Tap Restore and follow the prompts to finish.
The reason this is possible is because WhatsApp creates a back up of your messages at 4 am everyday. This backup is stored on your SD card.
Chats Older Than Seven Days
Restoring chats older than seven days is slightly more complicated.
- Before you begin restoring older chats, backup your current chat history by going to WhatsApp > Menu > Settings > Chat Settings > Backup conversations.
- Next, go to your WhatsApp database folder using your file manager (Files) app. The route to the database folder is /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. In this folder, you will notice several files . The backup file you have just created will have a name similar to “msgstore.db.crypt7” or “msgstore.db.crypt8”. Rename this file so that you don’t confuse it with other files during the recovery process. For example, you can rename it to “msgstore.db.crypt8.recent”.
- Take note of the other database files marked with different dates e.g. “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.2.db.crypt5” As you have probably guessed, YYYY-MM-DD is the year, month and date of backup. Decide on the backup file you want restore based on the date and rename it “msgstore.db.crypt”
- Uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall. Choose Restore when prompted and your old chat history is restored using the file you have renamed “msgstore.db.crypt” in point 4 above.
WhatsApp Android Resources